A Brief Introduction To Main Aspects Of The MLA Essay Format
Modern Language Association format or MLA essay format style is usually applied for writing works and citing sources in humanities and liberal arts. If you study at a college or university, you may have to write an essay in the MLA format. Together with the APA format style, the MLA style is one of the most popular formatting styles that are used for formatting papers. In addition, this style offers a set of citation demands that are required for the creation of the reference list.
If a student has to write a paper in the MLA format, they might require some help. A brief introduction to the MLA essay format main aspects in this article will surely come in hand.
- General formatting facts.
- The default font of the paper should be 12 points, Times New Roman.
- The required margins of the text should be set to one inch on each side.
- Only one space is used after periods.
- You should use double space within the whole text.
- The paragraphs first lines' indents should be one and half-inch from the left margin edge.
- A separate page should be devoted to your possible endnotes. It should be located right before the page of cited works.
- The title should be italicized for additional emphasis.
- You shouldn't write a title page of the essay unless it is required.
- It is necessary to create a header that will count all the pages of your work in the right corner of every page.
- In some cases the number of the first page can be skipped, so ask your instructor for additional information.
- Your name should be typed on the first page of the work in the upper right corner. It should be opposite to the page number.
- Starting from a new line, just below your name, you should write your professor's name, the name of the course and the date of finishing of the paper.
- The line below the date should be devoted to the title of your paper.
- The title should be centered and written in italics.
- For cited works page MLA format applies bibliography rules.
- During the creation of a bibliographic list, you should take into consideration the following attributes: author's name, book's title, publishing date and place.
- All the sources should be listed in alphabetical order according to the authors' last names.
For additional information on this format check manuals and consult your instructor.